Friday, August 17, 2007

Thought of the day

No, this is not a "Jack Handy" moment, but just an experience that I thought I would "jot" down and share. I'll be quick since it is Friday.

As most you you know, I work for eProject. We are located in downtown Seattle and have the 5th and 6th floors of a cool brick building. Anyway, we are growing like gang busters...now at around 120 people. This kind of growth is challenging because it is difficult to still "know" everyone. There are occasional names that I don't recognize, but I at lease can place a face....I know if I see someone that they are a part of eProject.

A few months back, MySpace took over the 4th floor. Talk about growing like gang busters...they are filling a relatively small space with over 100 developers. Today as I was walking into the building and waiting for the elevator, a guy (techie looking) approached me and asked if I was going to the 4th floor, because his card key wouldn't work.

Seemed like a harmless encounter, but as I put the pieces together, I realized this is pretty sad and how lucky I am. Here is guy who cant even recognize if I belong on the 4th floor....doesn't know if we even work at the same company. They are growing so fast, and probably have enough turn over that they don't know who works where. I am very thankful to be where I am at and this is just one of those little reminders to make sure I try to know all the people that work at eProject. I may not be buddy buddy with everyone, but I need to know that the person waiting for the elevator is going to my same floor and we are a part of the same company.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: