Monday, February 25, 2008

SLHS to State

As most of you know, Steph and I (as well as Jeff and Stacey) both attended SLHS. During our 4 years there, the boys bball team was luck enough to go to state twice for basketball. Unfortunately, the boys have only been 1 other time in the last 18 years. Well, this weekend that changed when the boys took 5th at Tri-Districts and qualified for state. Even better, the girls also made it to state....the first time since 1987 that both teams have made it to state.

After learning about their accomplishment, I pinged Jack Menashe and offered to talk to the team about the "State Experience". He took me up on that and I talked with them today for a few minutes. From playing in the 10,000 seat arena, to the quality of the teams you play, to rooter bus...It was fun to encourage them in their next challenge. Of course my biggest highlight was from my Sophomore year where we placed 8th. It was the game that either gave us a shot for 5th or sent us home, and we went into double overtime. I came in for someone that fouled out and ended up making 2 free throws with 20 seconds left to "put the game out of reach." Dad actually put together a DVD for me with the radio audio, so I watched that tonight. If I can get the actual AVI, I might post a clip...although the uniforms from 19 years ago are not pretty :-)

We pinged our favorite West Seattle website and they added a posting to their Blog about the accomplishment.

That posting has links to the Boys and Girls brackets so you can all track how they do.

Go Saints!

1 comment:

SeattleAnne said...

Oh boy does this bring back LOTS of great memories!You won't be too surprised to know that I still have my button with your photo on it Mike-as well as my Saints bead bracelet that Steph made!
Good luck to both teams!
GO SAINTS!!!!